Become a Pitmaster Club member and you can become a better cook while we become a better website. Benefits include:
(1) No outside ads
(2) More recipes
(3) Access to The Pit forum and tons of info
(4) Email newsletter
(5) Video seminars with famous Pitmasters
(6) Comprehensive Temperature Magnet ($10 retail)
(7) Monthly Gold Medal Giveaways of expensive grills and smokers
(8) Support for Operation BBQ Relief
(9) Support for AmazingRibs.com
(10) No risk 90 day moneyback guarantee
La Caja China started in 1985 when Roberto Guerra was laboring over a pig roast with a makeshift cooker. His father recalled childhood memories in Cuba and how the family easily roasted whole pigs in a "Chinese Box". They reconstructed the simple design: a wooden box on a stand with an aluminum interior and a coal tray for a lid. The heat radiates into the cookbox and the lid seals it off, keeping the meat moist.
La Caja China gained popularity and today they produce several models, some with metal sides instead of wood, and a variety of spices, marinades and accessories.
La Caja China #2 Aluminum
This is a metal lined plywood box in which you place a small, splayed pig. On goes the lid and the coals go on top of the lid turning the box into a hot oven. Cooks fast and makes very crispy skin but the meat does not get smoky or a grilled flavor. Perfect for backyard parties and luaus.
$350 Manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP), actual price may vary.
Where To Buy (Buying from these suppliers supports this website):