Grilled Avocados with Strawberry-Mango Salsa
Yes, avocado is a fruit, so don't be surprised to see me make a dessert with it, OK? This recipe is delightful on a hot summer evening after a barbecue dinner.
Makes. 4 servings
Takes. About an hour, most of which you are doing nothing.
4 not-fully-ripe avocados, just turning soft
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 pound strawberries, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Lettuce leaves, for serving
1) Slice the avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the seeds. In a small bowl, mix together the honey and olive oil. Brush the exposed flesh with the honey
2) In a medium bowl, combine the mango, strawberries, vinegar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Let sit for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the flavors can blend.
3) Preheat the barbecue to 325°F.
4) Grill the avocados, skin side down, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the skin begins to lightly char and take on grill marks. Oil the grill grates, brush the flesh side of the avocados again with the honey-oil mixture and place them flesh side down on the grill for 2 to 3 minutes.
5) With a spatula, carefully remove the avocados from the grill and place them on beds of lettuce on warm serving plates, 2 halves per person. Fill the seed cavity of each avocado half with the mango-strawberry salsa. Serve with spoons to scoop out the avocado flesh and salsa.