This is an easy all-purpose spice mix for poultry, it is not made with poultry! Use it on chicken, turkey, pork (pigs can fly, can’t they?), or veal. I have used it in bread stuffings and meat loaf.
They sell it in bottles, but you can make it yourself easily, and modify the ingredients to your taste. Each bottler has its own proprietary mix, but sage is the main ingredient in all of them. Here’s my recipe.
As background for this recipe, please read my article on the Science of Rubs.
- 3 tablespoons dried "rubbed" sage
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, whole leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- If you can only get whole sage leaves, break them up into small bits or flakes in a mortar and pestle, spice grinder, food processor, or blender. Ditto for the rosemary. Mix everything together and store in a tightly sealed glass bottle.