Become a Pitmaster Club member and you can become a better cook while we become a better website. Benefits include:
(1) No outside ads
(2) More recipes
(3) Access to The Pit forum and tons of info
(4) Email newsletter
(5) Video seminars with famous Pitmasters
(6) Comprehensive Temperature Magnet ($10 retail)
(7) Monthly Gold Medal Giveaways of expensive grills and smokers
(8) Support for Operation BBQ Relief
(9) Support for AmazingRibs.com
(10) No risk 90 day moneyback guarantee
Take notes! Whenever you cook, keep a log, at least until your methods are instinctive. There are so many variables to master, you should be making notes on the meat, its grade, its weight, where you bought it, how you prepared it, what rubs and sauce you used, the cooker temp, ambient air temp, the wood you used, when you added wood and how much, etc. When you are done, note what it tasted like and what needs improvement. Study the info. Put your logs in a notebook. You learn a lot about the performance of your cooker and the cook.
Click here to download a free printable PDF version of my cooking log.
Click here to download a free Excel version that is editable.