Building Your Own Grill Or Smoker
Handy with tools? Too cheap to buy a cooker? Can't stand wasting money on the garbage sold in the stores? Build your own. The internet has a number of designs and ideas for the do-it-yourselfer, whether you want to build a grill, hog cooker, or smoker.
Grills & Smokers
- 7 tips on building a brick grill. This article helps keep you away from the, ahem, pitfalls.
- From HGTV. Home & Garden TV has step by step instructions.
- Old Fashioned Backyard Brick BBQ Pit With Wood Storage Rack. That's it in the picture at the top of the page. Tis page has detailed instructions, day by day guidance, and a complete parts list. The design appears to be from the 1950s.
- Lexington Collection's Wide World of Pits. A gallery of home made grills and smokers from Dave Lineback.
- A simple open brick grill. With wood storage.
- An open grill with a car jack The jack raises and lowers the food.
- A large open air pit. Comes close to my dream machine. This link is to a pdf.
- Barbacoasluna.com Videos. This company has videos of their designs on YouTube. There are some great ideas here.
- Barbecue Building Book a Sunset gardening & outdoor building books
- Wilber. A great brick smoker with photos and detailed plans.
- Slideshow. Here's a slideshow of an nice brick smoker being built.
- Combination Grill and Smoker Plans by Tom Henry. You can buy the plans for this very nice looking design.
- Smokerbuilder.com. A site devoted to home crafted smokers.
- How big a firebox? If you want to build an offset smoker, here's a rule of thumb: The volume of the firebox should be about 1/3 the volume of the cooking chamber.
Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
- The UDS is a 55 gallon steel drum converted into a grill and smoker. This is an easy way to build a high quality cooker cheap. If you are building a drum smoker and need help finding a food safe drum, click here and scroll down.
- It a popular topic on barbecue message boards. Many have special sections devoted to their design and construction with photos. Some pretty clever engineering and cutting and welding can be seen there.
- Click here for a plan for a nice homemade smoker like the one shown here.
- The BBQ-Brethren.com has several pages devoted to the topic. They aptly label this as "the mother of all UDS threads. All information you will need to build a UDS is in this thread. use this, and a search of the forum for UDS and you will find a wealth of information."
- Thesmokering.com has another thread on UDS. Here's another good thread.
- Here's some photos of how one guy built an Ugly Drum Smoker.
- And another UDS plan with a parts list.
- Click here for an inexpensive kit for making an UDS.
...more to come (to be notified when new recipes and other articles are published, be sure to subscribe to our free, spam free, email newsletter "Smoke Signals").
| Homepage | Table of Contents | About Us | Pitmaster Club | Newsletter |
| Tips & Techniques | Recipes | Equipment Reviews | BBQ Culture & History | Weights, Measures, Conversions |
| Privacy Promise, Terms of Service, Other Legal Stuff | Advertising & Sponsorship Opportunities |
This site is brought to you in part by readers who support us with their membership in our Pitmaster Club.
Click here to learn more about benefits to membership in the Pitmaster Club.