Avocado is good but grilled avocado is even better, especially in a dessert!
Yes, avocado is a fruit, so don't be surprised to see me make a dessert with it, OK? This grilled avocado with strawberry-mango salsa recipe is delightful on a hot summer evening after a BBQ dinner or even served as a sweet grilling side dish.
Grilled Avocados with Strawberry-Mango Salsa Recipe
Say goodbye to traditional desserts and surprise your guests with this delicious recipe for fruit salsa stuffed grilled avocados. Rich and creamy with the perfect touch of smoke, the avocados match perfectly with the sweet strawberry and mango salsa to create the perfect addition to your next backyard BBQ bash.
Course. Appetizer. Dessert.
Makes. 4 servings
Takes. About an hour, most of which you are doing nothing.
4 not-fully-ripe avocados, just turning soft
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 pound strawberries, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Lettuce leaves, for serving
1) Prep. Slice the avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the seeds. In a small bowl, mix together the honey and olive oil. Brush the exposed flesh with the honey-olive oil mixture, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a cool place (do not refrigerate).
2) In a medium bowl, combine the mango, strawberries, vinegar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Let sit for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the flavors can blend.
3) Fire up. Preheat the grill to 325°F.
4) Cook. Grill the avocados, skin side down, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the skin begins to lightly char and take on grill marks. Oil the grill grates, brush the flesh side of the avocados again with the honey-oil mixture and place them flesh side down on the grill for 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Serve. With a spatula, carefully remove the avocados from the grill and place them on beds of lettuce on warm serving plates, 2 halves per person. Fill the seed cavity of each avocado half with the mango-strawberry salsa. Serve with spoons to scoop out the avocado flesh and salsa.
"...the avocado is a food without rival among the fruits, the veritable fruit of paradise."David Fairchild