Our Pitmaster Club can up your game!
• No more ads, faster page loads!
• "The Pit" forum with tons of info & scores of recipes
• Monthly newsletter
• Video seminars with top pitmasters
• Weekly podcast with news and interviews
• Comprehensive Temperature Magnet ($10 retail)
• Monthly giveaways of Gold Medal grills and smokers
• Discounts on products we love
• Educational and social Meat-Ups
• Support for Operation BBQ Relief
• Support for Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
• Support for AmazingRibs.com!
This is an easy all-purpose spice mix for poultry, it is not made with poultry! Use it on chicken, turkey, pork (pigs can fly, can't they?), or veal. I have used it in bread stuffings and meat loaf.
They sell it in bottles, but you can make it yourself easily, and modify the ingredients to your taste. Each bottler has its own proprietary mix, but sage is the main ingredient in all of them. Here's my recipe.
As background for this recipe, please read my article on the Science of Rubs.
3 tablespoons dried crumbled sage
1 tablespoon dried crumbled thyme
1 tablespoon dried crumbled marjoram
1 tablespoon dried rosemary, whole leaves
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon cloves, powdered
Mix everything together in a spice grinder, coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle. Grind into a coarse powder, and store in a tightly sealed glass bottle. I did the blend above with a mortar and pestle.