When it comes to slicing brisket, loins, or large roasts, I would be lost without my trusty 11-inch Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer. While there are numerous high-end versions of this slicing knife available, I have owned one of the sub-$20 Mercer ones for over a decade and it is still going strong.
In fact, it’s because the blade’s razor-sharp edge is so easy to maintain and the fact that the ergonomic slip resistant santoprene/polypropylene handle can take an industrial sized beating that you’ll find the Mercer brand in countless professional kitchens.
But price and durability aren’t the only perks of this knife. With an 11-inch blade you are able to create a perfect slice of brisket or roast with one clean slicing motion, while the granton/scalloped edge creates air pockets that ensure that the meat won’t stick to the blade as you slice.
Here’s a quick summary of the knife’s best features according to the manufacturer.
- Ergonomic handle – a combination of Santoprene for comfort and polypropylene for durability
- Textured finger points provide slip resistance, grip, and safety
- Protective finger guard
- The highest quality Japanese steel allows for easy blade maintenance and rapid sharpening for a razor-sharp edge
- One-piece high-carbon, stain-free Japanese steel
- Limited lifetime warranty