How to make perfect breadcrumbs for mac-and-cheese, chicken and MORE!
Look at a box of seasoned breadcrumbs. I have one in my hand right now. All kinds of stuff in there. All I want is bread and seasonings. Here’s how I make breadcrumbs perfect for topping my Mac & Cheese or breaded chicken.
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Fire up. If you are using fresh bread, pre-heat a smoker or into an oven to 225°F.
- Prep. Place the fresh bread onto a small sheet pan and set the pan onto the smoker or into the oven. Toast the bread until it dries, being careful not to let it burn, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the dried bread pieces to a blender or food processor and pulse until it is ground into crumbs roughly the size of kosher salt. Add the herb blend to taste.
- If you like, as an option, put the 1 cup of crumbs into a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium heat. If you wish, add some fresh or dried garlic, onion powder, pepper flakes, whatever. Then let it cool and if you wish add some citrus zest and some grated hard cheese like parmesan.
- Serve. Use the seasoned bread immediately or store them in a zipper bag in the freezer.