Join our Pitmaster Club and help us help you. Benefits include:
• No more ads!
• The Pit forum with tons of info
• Scores of new recipes
• Monthly newsletter
• Video seminars with famous pitmasters
• Weekly podcast of news and interviews
• Comprehensive Temperature Magnet ($10 retail)
• Monthly giveaways of Gold Medal grills and smokers
• Discounts on products we love
• Educational and social Meat-Ups
• Support for Operation BBQ Relief
• Support for Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
• Support for AmazingRibs.com!
• Money back guarantee
If you want to roast a whole hog, lamb, or goat, you can fit small animals onto some horizontal smokers. Or you can buy rigs specially designed for the job. They range from simple spits that you turn by hand crank or motor and the animal rotates above or to the side of a campfire. One popular design, jokingly called the Cajun microwave, is a stainless steel lined box. You close the lid and put the coals on top. The meat roasts rapidly in this indirect heat, smokeless coffin.