If we have helped you become a better cook, please become a Pitmaster Club member and help us become a better website. Benefits for members include:
(1) Seminars with famous Pitmaster Professors
(2) Access to The Pit forum and scores of new friends
(3) An expanded Temperature Guide Magnet that selles for $9.95
(4) Gold Medal Giveaways of free grills and smokers
(5) Support for Operation BBQ Relief
If you want to roast a whole hog, lamb, or goat, you can fit small animals onto some horizontal smokers. Or you can buy rigs specially designed for the job. They range from simple spits that you turn by hand crank or motor and the animal rotates above or to the side of a campfire. One popular design, jokingly called the Cajun microwave, is a stainless steel lined box. You close the lid and put the coals on top. The meat roasts rapidly in this indirect heat, smokeless coffin.