Smoked Egg Salad With Mayo Mojo
Egg salad is an old standard. But you can amp it up to 11 with my Mayo Mojo spice mix and smoked eggs. Yes, you can smoke an egg!
Makes. Enough for 8 big sandwiches
Takes. Preparing the eggs and the flavored mayo will take 2 hours, and assembling the ingredients 5 minutes.
1) Hard boil the eggs. Alas, I have tried every method known to man to prevent the eggs from sticking to the shells, and there is no foolproof technique. Here are some tips. When you are done, you can store them in the fridge for days. I mark them with a felt tip.
2) Mix the Mayo Mojo, and mix in the pickled relish. Make this a day in advance if you can so the flavors can marry in the fridge.
3) Remove the shells from the hard boiled eggs and smoke them for 30 minutes at 225°F in a smoker on in the indirect zone of a grill (see my instructions for setting up a grill for smoking in the table of contents). Take the eggs out and you can complete the prep, or just put them in the fridge for a few days.
4) Cut the eggs into little slivers or cubes. I use an egg slicer and cut them lengthwise then again crosswise to make little matchsticks. Mix the Mayo Mojo with the eggs.
5) Just before serving I sliced green onions crosswise and mix them in. Then I like to toast some rye bread, load on the egg salad, and then top with lettuce and tomato.
This page was revised on 2/24/2015
| Homepage | Table of Contents | About Us | Pitmaster Club | Newsletter |
| Tips & Techniques | Recipes | Equipment Reviews | BBQ Culture & History | Weights, Measures, Conversions |
| Privacy Promise, Terms of Service, Other Legal Stuff | Advertising & Sponsorship Opportunities |
This site is brought to you in part by readers who support us with their membership in our Pitmaster Club.
Click here to learn more about benefits to membership in the Pitmaster Club.