This simple to execute chili recipe featuring ground beef is a guaranteed home run for family and guests
This favor-packed ground beef chili is adapted from a recipe by Lady Bird Johnson, found on a 3×5 inch card in the stacks of the LBJ Library in Austin, TX.
Serve with: A stout or porter.
- Prep. Chop the onion.
- Press the garlic with a garlic press or mince.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Cook. Pre-heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the meat, chopped onion, and garlic. Cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin, tomatoes, chili powder, and cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, skimming off the fat as it cooks. Add salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Serve. Serve immediately along with extra hot sauce and such condiments as grated cheese, sour cream, and sliced jalapeños.