This simple to execute chili recipe featuring ground beef is a guaranteed home run for family and guests
This favor-packed ground beef chili is adapted from a recipe by Lady Bird Johnson, found on a 3×5 inch card in the stacks of the LBJ Library in Austin, TX.
Serve with: A stout or porter.
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Prep. Chop the onion.
- Press the garlic with a garlic press or mince.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Cook. Pre-heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the meat, chopped onion, and garlic. Cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin, tomatoes, chili powder, and cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, skimming off the fat as it cooks. Add salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Serve. Serve immediately along with extra hot sauce and such condiments as grated cheese, sour cream, and sliced jalapeños.