The AmazingRibs.com Best Value Medals are based on (1) features, (2) construction quality, and (3) value. Rarely will a $400 Gold Medal be in the same quality league as an $800 Gold Medal or a $1,200 Gold Medal, so it is important that you read the reviews to see what we say about the construction quality and features.
- Gold Medal. Among the best of its type in its price category. A strong buy recommendation.
- Silver Medal. A fine product among the best in its price category with only minor shortcomings. Recommended for purchase if a Gold Medal is not available.
- Bronze Medal. A good product, better than average, but may be lacking compared to higher rated products. Worth considering if you cannot find or afford a Gold or Silver Medal.
- Not Recommended. A product that we think is a poor choice.
- Not Judged Yet. A product that may be award caliber, but we do not know enough about it yet to give it an award.
How we review
Here's a key to our grill and smoker reviews.
- Cooked On It. This means we have hands-on experience testing this product. We have also gathered info from the manufacturer, owners, and other reliable sources.
- Looked Closely At It. This means we have seen this product up close and we have also gathered info from the manufacturer, owners, and other reliable sources.
- Researched It From Afar. This means we have researched this product from afar by gathering info from the manufacturer, owners, and other reliable sources, with our BS meters on high.
We purchase many of the products we review although occasionally suppliers send us samples. We adhere to the the Federal Trade Commission regulations of 2009. We have a written policy about samples for suppliers that makes it clear that we will call 'em as we see 'em. Suppliers are never charged to have products reviewed or be included in our listings. After we are done with samples we often give them away, we never sell them. Many of the nearby fire departments have nice new grills because of this policy.
These are truly unbiased reviews. We do not make or sell anything that competes, and our advertising is sold by third party ad networks. We do not do sponsored articles, paid articles, or accept junkets. Rest assured that when we recommend a product, it is because we like it, not because someone has paid us to say so or because the company is an advertiser or sponsor. We disclose our material relationships, policies, and business practices. Readers will always know the difference between editorial and advertising. We always present our honest opinions to the best of our ability. We own our words. Even if we occasionally have to eat them. No ketchup allowed.
Attention manufacturers, merchants, ad agencies, and others
If you have a product you want us to review, contact us. Rick Browne, PhB, is our full time Director of Product Reviews. Max Good is our full time Grill and Smoker Tester. Bill McGrath, an electrical engineer, is our Thermometer Tester. If you have earned an "AmazingRibs.com Best Value Medal", there is no licensing fee to use copies of the artwork, but you must contact us for permission first. If you need them, high resolution color and black & white versions are also available. If you refer to your medal in publicity or on your website, please call it by its proper name "The AmazingRibs.com Best Value Gold Medal", "The AmazingRibs.com Value Silver Medal", or "AmazingRibs.com Best Value Bronze Medal". On the internet, you should link to this page.