The secret ingredient? Red currant jam
Cumberland sauce makes the ideal accompaniment to game meats and works equally well with lamb and beef, particularly this Smoked Meatloaf with Cream Cheese Stuffing. The sauce is a sweet, spicy, and sharp combination of red currant jelly, port wine, citrus, mustard, and a bit of cayenne pepper for zip.
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- ½ cup port wine
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Cook. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the currant jelly. Add the shallots, orange and lemon zest and grated ginger to the jelly.
- Whisk the mustard into the wine and add to the pan. Add the orange and lemon juices and simmer the sauce for 5 to 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Season and keep warm. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Keep the sauce warm until ready to use.