Mix up your BBQ game with this deliciously rich and fruity apple butter sauce.
Eve tempted Adam with apples, and if you want a great Kansas City style BBQ sauce with a twist, use apple butter to sweeten it and people will sin to get your ribs. This sauce would have Adam eating out of Eve’s palm, and sucking on her fingers.
Yes, it has lumps. Strain it if you must. I say leave ’em in.
- 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger dissolved in a few teaspoons of water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Chipotle Tabasco sauce (less if you don't like heat; more if you do)
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Prep. Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat. Melt the butter over low to medium heat.
- Cook the onion and garlic until translucent, being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for ten minutes. I like to make two batches, one mild, one hot.
- Serve. Serve the sauce immediately or refrigerate for for future use.