The French learned to make pizza from the Italians, but put their own twist on it, naturally
In Provence in South France, pissalladiere is a sauceless, cheeseless pie on a medium crust. Topped with caramelized onions, olives, garlic, anchovies, and herbs, the pissaladiere is a perfect balance of sweet and saltiness. Here’s my recipe for a grilled twist on cooking this classic French style pizza. I make it in a lightweight metal pan that I can coat with oil to make sure the bottom is stiff and crispy.
Before you start, I recommend you read my article The Science of Grilled Pizza (Pizza alla Griglia).Free Barbecue News magazine every month to members of our Pitmaster Club. Click here for a free 30 day trial. No credit card needed. No spam. Click here to Be Amazing!
- Pizza stone or 15" metal pizza pan
- 16 ounces Roman style pizza crust or Neapolitan style pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- All-purpose flour for shaping the dough
- 12 Nicoise or Kalamata style olives
- 6 anchovy fillets, packed in oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, or oregano
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 2 pinches coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fire up. Preheat the grill to high. Shoot for 450 to 500°F. Preheat a pizza stone if you're using one. Otherwise a metal pizza pan or even a sheet pan works fine.
- Shape the dough. Use a pizza stone or coat a lightweight metal pan with oil. Toss the flour on your work surface and spread it thin. Place the dough in the center and begin working it outward and roll it thin, less than 1/4". Move the dough to a peel if you are cooking on a pizza stone or to the oiled pan. Don't worry if it is not perfectly round. With a pastry brush or spray bottle, lightly coat the top with olive oil.
- Add the toppings. Sprinkle the herbs on the dough first. This is important so the moist onions keep them from burning. Then add the olives, anchovies, caramelized onions, salt, and pepper. I know you want to, but don't skip the anchovies.
- Cook. Bake until the crust is nicely crisped.
- Serve. Slice and serve hot.