This is a versatile spice mix with just about every seed on the spice rack thrown in. It is used for making pickles of all sorts, from cucumber pickles to Colorful Pickled Eggs Recipe, corned beef, even pickled pigs feet.
Foods are often simmered in pickling spices and water, such as pork chops, sauerbraten, and homemade corned beef and cabbage. You can use more or less of these ingredients to your taste.
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks, total length
- 2 tablespoon dill seeds
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, any color
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon mace powder
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 2 star anise pods
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Put the cinnamon sticks and peppercorns (and the juniper berries and star anise pods, if you're using those options) in a plastic bag and smash them with a meat tenderizer or a hammer. Crumble the bay leaves into flakes about ⅛ inch in size. Mix all the ingredients together and store in a tight jar.