Take your desserts over the top with this recipe for cold smoking chocolate chips at home.
Nothing says “I love you but not enough to put in much effort” than store bought chocolates at Valentine’s Day.
This year, show your loved ones how much you truly care by surprising them with some homemade sweets featuring cold smoked chocolate chips!
Adding a touch of BBQ smoke to chocolate chips is a relatively easy way to introduce an unexpected layer of flavor to our Lusty Chocolate Truffles recipe as well as cookies, s’mores, ice cream, and more. The key to success is to create just enough heat in the grill to create a steady stream of smoke while keeping the chocolate chips extra cool thanks to a layer of ice below the dish containing the chocolate. Here’s our how-to:
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Prep. Fill a 9-inch/22.9-cm round cake pan with ice. Spread the chocolate chips out evenly across the bottom of a glass pie plate.
- Fire up. Heat 4-6 charcoal briquets. Place the briquets on one end of the charcoal grill’s charcoal grate. Top the briquets with 2 small chunks of mild smoking wood such as maple, cherry, or apple. Allow the wood to begin smoking.
- Cook. Set the ice filled cake pan on the grill’s main cooking grate as far from the charcoal and wood as possible. Top the cake pan with the chocolate chip filled pie plate. Place the lid on the grill. Open the top vent fully and position it directly above the chocolate chips to force the smoke over and around them.
- Allow the chocolate chips to smoke for 30 minutes for a mild smoke flavor or 45 minutes for a stronger flavor. Remove chips from the grill and store them in an airtight container until ready to use. Note that the smoke flavor will mellow over time so storing them for several days before using is ideal.
- Serve. Once the smoked chocolate chips have had time to mellow, use them in cookies, cakes, candies, and other desserts.