The classic combination of peaches and cream are amped up with a touch of smoky and a splash of dark rum.
Peaches and cream, a classic summer treat and a combo as natural as peanut butter and jelly. Here’s a grilled variation on this dessert theme inspired by an old newspaper clipping my wife found in a filebox that, naturally, I had to monkey with. Peaches are quartered and grilled until soft and slightly charred before being served with ice cream and a drizzle of mouthwatering sauce.
Serve with: a dessert wine or aperitif.
- ⅓ cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
- 4 peaches
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Fire up. Set up your grill for direct heat cooking on medium high heat. When it is hot make sure to clean the grates thoroughly so there is no meat grease. This is crucial! If necessary, use water to loosen the grease.
- Cook. While the grill is preheating, pour the rum, lemon juice, vanilla, maple syrup, brown sugar, butter, and salt into a sauce pan and melt them together over high heat, stirring occasionally. Boil the mix for about 10 minutes to drive off some of the alcohol. I know you think this is a waste, but you want the booze to play nice with everybody, not bully them. It really detracts from the taste in this recipe. When it is done, let it cool.
- Prep. Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits.
- Cook again. Grill the peaches cut side down until they get some nice golden grill marks but try not to let the sugars burn. Should take about 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes if you stab the skin side with a knife or a fork it should slide in easily. If not, flip them over and cook a bit longer on the skin side until there are grill marks. Remove them from the grill and cut them into slices or chunks.
- Serve. Put a scoop of ice cream in a bowl, pour the sauce over it (a ladle comes in handy), and then top with the peaches. Serve immediately because the ice cream will start melting fast.