What could be better after an All-American BBQ than All-American Apple Pie, cooked on the already warm grill!
Surprise the guests at your next BBQ cookout with this recipe for apple pie on a grill.
You can use a single crust below the filling, or make a double crust and top the filling with more crust, or make a lattice from a second crust and sprinkle it with sugar as in the photo below.
- 1 recipe all-purpose pie dough for a single crust or a purchased pie crust
- 2 tablespoons instant ClearJel or all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 apples
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Prep. Make or buy the pie dough and put the bottom in a pie pan. Put it in the freezer for a few minutes to chill it.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples.
- To create the filling, combining the sugar, tablespoons of flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the apples, stirring to coat. Transfer the apple mixture to the pie pan, smoothing out the filling.
- Make the topping in a medium bowl by combining the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Fire up. Set up your grill for 2-zone cooking and preheat it to 425°F (218.3°C) in the indirect side.
- Cook. Place the sheet pan on the indirect side of the grill and preheat it. If you don't have a sheet pan a baking pan will work or use a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place the pie on the indirect side, close the lid, and bake until the liquid is bubbling and the apples are tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Serve. Slice and serve the apple pie on its own or with vanilla ice cream or with thick sliced extra sharp cheddar cheese.