Celebrate summer's freshest produce with the vibrant pico de gallo recipe.
Fresh tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, and cilantro are the cornerstones of our addictively delicious recipe for homemade pico de gallo. Add a touch of brightness to tacos, quesadillas, and other Mexican dishes; a bold bite to scrambled eggs and omelets; a vibrant twist to salsa and chips; and so much more.
In the mood for a unique grilled twist on “traditional” tomato salsa, or salsa roja? If so be sure to check out our amazing recipe here!
Pico de Gallo Recipe
This fresh and vibrant pico de gallo recipe will be a surefire hit at your next backyard bash.
Course. Breakfast. Brunch. Lunch. Dinner. Appetizer. Sauces and Condiments. Side Dish. Snack.
Makes. About 2 cups
Takes. 15 minutes prep time. 30 minutes or more to chill.
4 large meaty tomatoes
1 small green jalapeño
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 clove fresh garlic, minced into small bits
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 lime, sliced in half
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) Prep. Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Chop into small cubes, about 1/8" and add to a medium bowl.
2) Slice the jalapeño lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and the white ribs and the stem end with a spoon. Chop into small bits and add to the bowl.
3) Add the clilantro, scallions, and garlic to the bowl. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime through a strainer to catch the seeds. Rub the lime skin on a zester to get about 1 teaspoon of lime zest into the bowl.
4) Chill the pico de gallo for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. You can add the black pepper at any time, but hold off on the salt til the last minute because it tends to draw moisture out.
5) Serve. Taste the pico de gallo and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips or add to countless dishes including tacos, quesadillas, omelets, and more.