Fire roasted corn is the centerpiece of these light and airy griddle grilled corn cakes.
Fresh, sweet corn makes the value of eating in season crystal clear: late summer is when this fresh ingredient tastes its best. Sure, you can buy frozen corn kernels year round, but nothing beats the taste of fresh picked corn on the cob. Celebrate the arrival of sweet corn with this simple and satisfying recipe for griddle grilled corn cakes.
We begin by grilling ears of sweet corn until they are smoky and slightly charred. Then we cut the kernels from the cobs and fold them into quickbread batter that is cooked right on the grill thanks to a multi-functional griddle surface. The corn cakes cook up light and airy with just the right crunch from the grilled corn kernels. We have also included a number of ideas for ingredients you can mix into the batter such as bacon, cheese, jalapenos, and more. Get ready for this recipe to become your go-to summer side dish.
- 2 ears of fresh corn, shucked
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
These recipes were created in US Customary measurements and the conversion to metric is being done by calculations. They should be accurate, but it is possible there could be an error. If you find one, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page
- Fire up. Prepare a grill for direct cooking by evenly spreading a chimney full of pre-heated charcoal briquets across the grill’s charcoal grate. Adjust the grill vents to bring the temperature to about 350°F (176.7°C). On a gas grill, adjust the temperature knobs to maintain a temperature of approximately 350°F (176.7°C).
- Cook. Place the ears of corn on the grill and cook while rotating periodically until lightly charred all over, approximately 5 minutes. Do not worry about completely cooking the corn as it will be cooked further as part of the corn cakes. Remove the corn from the grill.
- Prep. Using a small sharp knife, carefully cut the kernels from the ears corn (here’s a handy tip for removing corn kernels).
- Combine the dry ingredients including one cup of the grilled corn kernels (you can use the remaining kernels as a garnish or reserve for another dish), flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in any optional add-ins such as bacon, scallions, cheese, jalapenos, cilantro, and/or parsley. Mix well.
- Add the milk, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and beaten egg to the dry ingredients. Mix the ingredients until fully combined.
- Preheat a griddle on the main grill grate. When hot, coat the top of the griddle with canola oil.
- Cook again. Pour a 1/4 cup (53.8 g) of the batter onto the griddle for each corn cake. Cook until fluffy and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve. Remove the corn cakes from the griddle and brush with the remaining melted butter. Serve immediately.