Grilled dessert never fails to surprise and impress guests, and a dollop of smoked whipped cream takes this grilled strawberry shortcake over the top.
Meathead’s Southern Style Biscuits are the foundation here, though any biscuits will work in a pinch (but seriously, try these biscuits - they are exceptional). The fresh strawberries pick up a wisp of smoke and char from a brief sojourn on the grill and are then combined with fresh blueberries for a patriotic twist on classic strawberry shortcake.
Smoked whipped cream brings the “wow” factor. It’s surprisingly easy to make. Just cold smoke some heavy whipping cream, mix in sugar and vanilla extract, and whip it to pillowy perfection. All in all, this smoky, savory, and sweet dessert will amaze your guests!
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake with Smoked Whipped Cream
Briefly grilled strawberries and smoked whipped cream are the stars of this delicious BBQ twist on southern strawberry shortcake.
Course. Dessert. Cake. Snack.
Makes. 4 servings
Takes. 10 minutes of prep. 25 minutes total smoking and grilling time.
Special Tools. Bamboo skewers. Four to five chunks of your favorite smoking wood.
Serve with. Sparkling wine or Champagne.
Smoked Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 southern style biscuits (our recipe here is recommended, though refrigerated biscuits such as Pillsbury Grands! Southern Homestyle Original Biscuits work as well)
20 fresh strawberries, tops removed and halved lengthwise
1 cup blueberries
1) Prep. Set a small bowl in the center of a 9-inch round cake pan or glass pie plate. Surround the bowl with ice.
2) Fire up. Heat 4-6 charcoal briquets. Place the briquets on one end of the charcoal grill’s charcoal grate. Top the briquets with 2 small chunks of mild smoking wood such as maple, cherry, or apple. Allow the wood to begin smoking. Alternatively, you can use a pellet filled smoker tube according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
3) Cook. Set the ice filled cake pan or pie plate on the grill’s main cooking grate as far from the charcoal and wood as possible. Fill the center bowl with heavy whipping cream. Place the lid on the grill. Open the top vent fully and position it directly above the ice filled dish to force the smoke over the heavy whipping cream.
4) Allow the heavy whipping cream to smoke for 20 minutes for a mild smoke flavor or 30 minutes for a stronger flavor, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove the heavy whipping cream from the grill and refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use. Note that the smoke flavor will mellow with time, so refrigerating the heavy cream for a day or two is ideal.
5) Prep again. Thread the halved strawberries onto bamboo skewers, positioning cut sides down.
6) Fire up again. Set up a charcoal grill for 2-zone cooking, placing a chimney full of pre-heated charcoal briquets on one side of the grill’s charcoal grate in order to create direct and indirect cooking zones. Adjust the smoker or grill vents to bring the temperature to about 325°F. On a gas grill, adjust the temperature knobs so that one half of the grill is off and the other half is heated enough to maintain a temperature of approximately 325°F on the indirect side.
7) Cook again. Place the strawberry skewers cut side down on the hot side of the grill. Grill while turning until lightly charred, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. If a skewer chars too quickly, move it to the cool side of the grill. Once grilled, remove the strawberries from the skewers and slice in half again. Set the grilled strawberries aside until ready to serve.
8) To prepare the whipped cream, combine the smoked heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a hand mixer. Mix on high speed until soft peaks form but being careful not to overbeat, approximately 1 minute.
12) Serve. Cut the biscuits in half horizontally. Place each of the biscuit halves on a separate plate. Top each biscuit half with grilled strawberries and blueberries. Drizzle honey over the berries then top with smoked whipped cream. Serve immediately.
"Life is short. Eat dessert first."Jacques Torres